I did want to touch on the fact that the Catholic Priest that did Grace's Baptism I found quiet compelling. And if you know me at all you know my religious beliefs. But a few things he said I found quiet interesting. He started with the fact that he doesn't like to get to preachy. He only does a homily that he himself finds compelling and gives him his own guidance. If it does nothing for him, or he doesn't truly believe it, then he's not going to provide any meaning with it when he says it. I thought that was interesting because most Churches that I attend, the sermon tends to be very 'biblical' or word for word readings right from the bible. He put it all in today's terms and his own language, and something about the way he spoke made it much more easier to listen to and not zone out as I usually do (and I do try real hard to always pay attention and understand what they're saying, but my own ADD sometimes prohibits that from happening at all).
For this homily he discussed the first two paragraphs of the catechism (now this is all from my own memory, so who knows how off I actually am, but this is what I got from it). He talked about how Karl Marx says said that people pray to god and need a god when they themselves need it. They use him when they have nothing else to go to and need some sort of hope. They also tend to use him to 'wish upon' and pray that god will just fix things instead of doing it themselves. I don't know if I even knew this about Karl Marx, but it's pretty much right on to my own beliefs. His argument against this was that being a catholic is the exact opposite. You don't have a need for god to do anything for you, he is just there to love you unconditionally like a mother. That there may come a time when you have love and family and money and you just find an emptiness in you that you're unsure how to fill. And that is where your faith should reside. That you should have time for your faith. not just praying and going to church, but whenever you can read about something that touches you, or gaining knowledge from somewhere that you find really hits you, that is your time with faith and you need that to be whole and feel whole.
Now maybe he said or meant something completely different then that, but I found that to be a very interesting concept that I had never really thought about. And even though I'm against most 'rules' of the catholic church, I think if I didn't live 3.5 hours away from Marinette I might be tempted to see what else that guy had to say ;)
What do you think? Does anyone have a good church that they go to that isn't so 'preachy' but just inspiring? I do love my Unitarian Church, but as the one is Mukwanago has closed and is moving further away, I haven't really decided if I want to drive all the way to Brookfield Unitarian one for church, when I have to drive there everyday for work, but I also don't want to go all the way to Also I'm a big fan of having church on weekdays. No offense, but I hate to have to loose my weekend time for church! But there is only Unitarian services on Sundays, and in Delafield they don't even have them every Sunday! :(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow...Pretty deep discussion...I do mostly agree with you...But I also think it's wrong of you to try to find the perfect church that meets all of your needs...The Purpose Driven Life says that every church has faults just like any family and you need to embrace those faults...That was my sermon of the day ;-)
amen sister...that aligns with my main concern with a non believer...you are robbing yourself of an unconditional love and hope...which ever God it is from...we too go to church to be inspired and refresh our focuses and mind set...try the Ridge.
Post a Comment